When I was 4, I borrowed a workman’s hammer during his lunch hour and built my chair out of plaster lath. At 8, I started making model airplanes. At 14, I built and sailed my dinghy across Lake Coeur d’ Alene. Thirteen years of higher education later, I got my MD and specialties and practiced medicine until 2006. The day I retired, Deiter showed me how to ‘turn’ wood on Mario Gasperetti’s old lathe. Making stuff is what I do now…mostly on the lathe.
IDEA is paramount. Without that miracle, I have no chance of making good work. Design follows, then materials, then techniques developed to accomplish it. Detail, decoration and painting continue the process. Finally, the presentation & sales: FINISH THE JOB!
Read more about John’s Wood Art in Yakima Magazine November 2021 issue.
Visit my Cadillac Studio at 2302 Laban Ave, Yakima, WA 98902!
Annual Yakima area events — Watch for JSB Arts events & shows and stop by to chat…
- Mighty Tieton Holiday Crafts & Antiques Bazaar – First Saturday in December, 608 Wisconsin, Tieton, WA
- June Art Fest — Second Saturday in June – Chalet Place Mall, 56th & Summitview, Yakima
- Labor Day Artist Tour 2022 – Annual Artists Studio Tours offer a unique way to visit with artists and see their workshop. My Cadillac Studio is on the tour plus you can visit with other artists that will be there, too! Stay tuned for more information coming soon.
Take a closer look at many of my wood projects locally at…
- My Cadillac Studio welcomes you 24/7 at 2302 Laban Ave, Yakima, WA 98902 – 509-949-5873
- The Larson Gallery Gift Shop – 16th & Nob Hill Blvd
- Gallery One, Downtown Ellensburg
- The Boxx Gallery, Tieton
- Moses Lake Museum & Art Center, Downtown
Annually Shows and Events around town — Stop by to chat…
- Second Saturday in June – June Art Fest, Chalet Place, 56th & Summitview, Yakima
- Usually the Third or Fourth Saturday in August – TBD – Women’s Century Club, Art in the House, 304 N 2nd Street, Yakima
Shipping options vary. Please contact me to arrange for purchase and shipping. All the images on this page are the exclusive property of John S. Barany. Any use is strictly prohibited without written permission.